History of the Company
In anticipation of the Second World War, there was a need to increase the USSR’s currency security and eliminate foreign exposure in strategic metals. On April 17, 1939, the Central Committee of the All-Union Communist Party (CPSU) and the Council of People’s Commissars passed a Resolution to build a refinery in Krasnoyarsk.
Norilsk sludge was first refined into platinum and palladium at the plant on March 23, 1943 and by 1945 the large-scale productions of precious metals began; in 1946 the first platinum ingots were cast and then palladium ingots in 1947.
At first, there were neither the technologies nor the facilities and equipment for the extraction of ancillary metals (rhodium, iridium, ruthenium and osmium), as there was no experience in processing such materials. In 1946, the plant’s scientists and engineers developed a technology to process ruthenium, and by 1951, they had developed the "salting technology", enabling the mastery of rhodium and iridium production.
By the end of the 50s, the production process of all platinum group metals was put into operation, and the technology of gold extraction from middlings was introduced.
In the 60s, semiconductor manufacture was launched. In 1960, mono-crystalline silicon production was commissioned, and in 1963, polycrystalline silicon was first produced.
To implement new ideas and technological methods, a research and experimental refining workshop was established in 1965.
The Company’s focus for the 70s was for developing and increasing production capacity. In 1971, a division for the acceptance and primary processing of platinum group scrap metals started in operation, as well as a chloro-evaporation station; in 1972, a wastewater treatment plant was installed; in 1975, a workshop for the acceptance, testing and primary processing of raw materials was set up; and in 1976, a gas treatment center and titanium stack were in operation. By the end of the 70s, a platinum and palladium sponge line was put into operation and industrial production was commissioned. By the end of 1979, the construction of a silicon workshop was complete.
Research and development work continued to progress. In 1985, the technology to polish rhodium using the chloro-thermal method was introduced. In 1986, the first gas and solution lines, working in closed recycle mode, were commissioned.
In 1991, it was decided to also manufacture jewelry at the facility. In 1994, the production of jewelry began. The first products were made of silver 925", and in 1996, gold and platinum jewelry manufacture was launched. In 1997, the Company was awarded a Diploma "for ingenious use of native gold nuggets" at the Moscow international exhibition of jewelry, and the company store Golden Chain was set up.
Krastsvetmet’s development strategy was based on the stages of consolidation and expansion in the existing precious metals markets, as well as the development of new markets. In 2002, the production of precious metals chemical compounds for use in various types of catalysis was launched. In 2004, a workshop for platinum-rhodium alloy catalyst systems production was put into operation. In 2005, the production of fine metal alloy wire was mastered. In 2008, platinum and platinum-rhodium alloy wire production for thermoelectric temperature transducers was launched.
In 2010, the Company started to manufacture new types of products: glass melting machines and glass feeders for glass fiber production, as well as silver targets for the glass industry.
In 2012, a spent catalysts processing line, for oil refining and petrochemical industries, was put into commercial operation.
In 2013, a pyrometallurgical line, for spent automotive catalyst processing, was established.